Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Singapore, October '11: Ng Ah Sio Bak Kut Teh, Rangoon Road

The Husband and Papa (my father-in-law) are avid fans of Singapore Bak Kut Teh. Mama (my mother-in-law) and I, on the other hand, are... well, not. Haha. But every time we're in Singapore, this is undoubtedly where we'll have lunch. So off to Ng Ah Sio we went, right after checking in at Somerset Grand Cairnhill.


Ng Ah Sio Pork Ribs Soup Eating House (wth??) on Rangoon Road.


The last time I was here was last December when I was down in Singapore on holiday with the family. At the time, the place looked dirty and run down. But not anymore! It looks like they did some sprucing up with the interior. New lights, wallpaper with nostalgic pictures and tales to tell, new furniture – the stall was definitely looking a lot better than it did before. They even had a fancy new menu, with English names, coloured pictures and all!


New menu.


Zoomed in version of that said menu,
ripped and Photoshopped from the picture above.


Very helpful for the Chinese illiterate like me. Haha.


To our surprise, the food came within minutes of us sitting down and having our order taken. Like, seriously! MERE MINUTES! And it wasn't like we just ordered a few dishes to tahan lapar or anything. Papa went all out! Look!




It was a full feast! That's two ribs per person (I ate one and gave the other to The Husband... or was it Papa? Hmmm...), two types of vege (I much preferred the lighter coloured one), an overflowing bowl full of mushrooms (not bad but not great either), tofu (lousy – never order this) and ewe char koay (perfect when dipped in hot soup).




From this last experience, I'd say that the service was better than it was before. It looked (more like sounded) like they started hiring Chinese nationals to help out at the stall so those young maidens are a lot more pleasant than the old local aunties who seem to believe in service with a grunt and a frown. =p They were also very generous with the bak kut teh soup – stopping by to refill our bowls any time it looked like they were running dry.


Speaking of soup... you should know that this bak kut teh is n-o-t-h-i-n-g like the regular Bak Kut Teh you find in Klang or PJ Old Town. This soup is very peppery and white, unlike our local version that is herbal and a darker shade of brown. If I had to choose, I'd say Klang wins hands down. Especially the dry ones. Mmmm... yums! Think I should make another trip down to KL to have me some good ol' fashioned Klang Bak Kut Teh soon. =p


--------------------------------------------------
Ng Ah Sio Pork Ribs Soup Eating House
--------------------------------------------------
LOCATION: 208 Rangoon Road, Singapore 218453
OPENING HOURS: 7am - 10pm; Closed on Mondays
CONTACT NUMBER: +65 6291 4537 ‎
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.ngahsiobkt.com/


-----------------
Related Posts
-----------------

22 comments :

Lissa said...

KIDNEYS!

Zhen Ying said...

Is this place good for Sg standards? Have you tried Pg Bak kut teh? I've heard Klang's the best but I've not tried it. Never stepped foot into Klang before?

There's a lot of China migrants in Sg now. They're flocking every country by the herds. I'm not happy about that all. Even in Aus, it doesn't feel like you're in Aus. It feels like you're in some China-land with ang mohs around. :(

Melissa said...

Come down, come down... Or, we can do a day trip here. ;) I haven't had any good BKT since coming here. Wait, I haven't had ANY at all. :(

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
- YUCK! =p

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zhen Ying
- I'm not big on pepper so I can't say that this Bak Kut Teh is good. Haha. Not a fan at all. But purely based on the line at the counter and the way The Husband and my father-in-law seem so addicted to it, I think it should be good by Singapore standards. Me? I prefer Klang BKT. The herbal kind. Penang wan tak boleh jadi lah. Totally beh ciak. Haha.

Yeah lots of China Chinese and Bangaladeshi workers in Singapore now. Summore it was Deepavali so they all came out to play. Haha.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melissa
- You know the good stalls or not?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melissa
- DAY TRIP TO KL?!? You're mad. Haha. You want me to die ah? I'm not 18 okayyy!

Melissa said...

No, I don't. :( All the more reason for you to come down and show me.

Alright alright, bad idea. Why don't we STAY. OVER a night then? :DDDD

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melissa
– Aiyor... how can you not?? You, my friend, need a tour guide to bring you about town to try the GOOD STUFF. Wait lah. One day IF I end up going down to KL, I can bring you on a one-day makan trip. Eat until you have food coming out of your eyes, ears and nose. Haha.

Melissa said...

YAY! Come come, soon. Pretty please. I know you are missing KL as much as you are missing me. Let's not be apart anymore! :p

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melissa
– Oh, you flatter yourself. =p

Dunno when can go down yet. I was just reminded of a wedding I've been invited to. It's taking place next weekend. Not sure if I can make it though. Been travelling every weekend. :-/

Zhen Ying said...

Pam Song, you'll need to take me on a KL trip and all the places you always hang out in KL.

We'll need to make A TRIP there!!!

Melissa said...

HAHAHA. :p Gotta feed my narcissist side every now and then, or else it dies off. :p

I'll be back whole of December and maybe till the first week of Jan. We can work something out. ;) Traveling every weekend is tiring. If you do come down and have time, text me! :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zhen Ying
– Hahahaha. Sure thing, girlfriend! You book your ticket back first and then we'll talk road-tripping! =p


ATTN: Melissa
– Wah. Long break. Nice. Yeah, travelling every weekend can be tiring. Fun (if you visit fun places) but tiring after. Haha.

You'll know if I do go down but considering my usual routine when I'm down in KL, I doubt I'll have time to hang. :-/

Melissa said...

Yeah, in and out, touch and go. :) Yeah, a long break. Much needed. Haha. Maybe when I'm back, we can come up with something. We DID plan an outing, a day trip to somewhere, if you remember. ;)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melissa
– Ya lor. Always the case.

Haha. Langkawi?

Melissa said...

YES! You remembered! :DDDD

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melissa
– Haha. Of course remember lah. When is another story. =p

Melissa said...

HAHAHA. When I get back, planning ensues. ;)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melissa
– Hopefully I'm around and available to plan when you're in town. Haha. December is holiday month for me, too! =p

Melissa said...

SERIOUS?! Whole month? Spare some days for me, please. Please? Pretty please?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melissa
- Should have days. Just dunno which days exactly. Haha.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!