Saturday, November 05, 2011

Singapore, October '11: Almost Kinda Sorta Shopping On Orchard

If you didn't already know, Orchard Road is a pretty long road. And it feels longer still when you're there – walking – in the tropical heat of the Singaporean sky. But I shan't complain about the heat because there's more to be ranted about the rain later. *snorts* Anyway, we started our walk at Somerset Grand Cairnhill and continued downward toward Singapore's many malls along The Great Orchard.


 Orchard Central – first building I saw on Orchard.


 My view from the pavement.


 Crossing the road to get to the other side.


 The Husband and I on a disco-styled (IMHO) escalator in the mall.
 I thought personally felt that the escalator was overdressed. =p


By the way, I'm still feeling pissed about losing that black and white top I was wearing in that picture above. It just... disappeared! Like, first I had it with me, and the next, it's gone!! T_____T Oh, and yes, that's an umbrella that The Husband has got with him. (I mentioned rain, remember? But more on that in another post.)


Outdoor café with a really powerful big ass fan above.


I was really surprised at how effective the big fans were! There were two there and it made the place really, really breezy. But not in an irritatingly overblown way that tosses your hair around and makes it unruly, of course. More like... a gentle but persistent breeze to help offer patrons some comfort and to chase away the midday heat. Really good stuff.


Said fan.


So guess what these fans are called!


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.




BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Good one.


 
See, I told you I was there! =p


Then we walked into one of the malls and headed right for the eatery/food court downstairs. Saw lots of fancy chocolates, intricately-dressed Japanese foodstuff, and this weird-looking round layer cake that looked like the ends of the weights boys carry at the gym. Haha.




Found out later that it's called a Baumkuchen.




But trust the Japanese to see a good thing
and improve it, of course. Haha.


 Open kitchen – man who places the layers on the cake.


Open kitchen – man who cuts the cake into the various sizes for sale.


There were four sizes available for sale – Small, Medium, Big and Ginormous. (Kidding. =) We bought the second to the smallest to try. (Medium in my books.) But somehow, I never did end up trying any of it! Just lugged it back to Somerset and that was the last I saw of that Baumkuchen. Haha. But I did enjoy me a cup of refreshing Honeydew Juice from the next food court we visited in the adjoining mall. (Penangite always looking for food wan lah. Just accept it. Haha.)


 Honeydew Juice for me and some other orange gunk for The Husband.
I'm assuming it's Carrot-Orange but I can't be sure and I don't remember.


My fresh Honeydew Juice.


After that, we walked back to the hotel


The Husband redecorated our room!


After The Husband pushed our single beds together, of course. =)


-----------------
Related Posts
-----------------

9 comments :

Zhen Ying said...

I totally agree with you about Penangnites and their food-filled minds. Always looking for good places to eat and trying new things. Did the rest like the Baumkuchen? I guess that's in the Takashimaya food court?

Zhen Ying said...

Also, those Big Fat Ass fans are amazing. There's one at the gym I go to. Like them a lot :)

Aivlysm69 said...

Strangely, I lost a black and white top as well while I was in Singapore. Just gone 0.o
*sadness* But Singapore's a great place. Heh.

Soh Hong Wei said...

I din know they are called Big Fat Ass fans! Haha!!

And, welcome to Singapore!
Other than the weather, do have fun !! =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zhen Ying
– Yeah, it's in Takashimaya! Wah, you go there so often until you know their stalls ah??

And... YOU GO TO THE GYM?!?!


ATTN: Aivlysm69
– I hate losing clothes. I lost another at home the other day. Can't for the life of me understand how it could just disappear. And I'd only worn it ONCE. T______T


ATTN: Soh Hong Wei
– Haha. That was last week lah. I've been back in Penang for awhile di. Then I went to Hatyai last weekend so... technically, this is old story liao. Haha.

Zhen Ying said...

No la, I haven't gone to Takashimaya for a long time. Coz you said you saw lots of intricately-dressed Japanese foodstuff, I guessed it must be there. On top of that, the cake has a Japanese touch to it. Did the others enjoy the cake?

And yes, I DO GO TO THE GYM. I just started going this year. :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zhen Ying
– I don't know if they enjoyed it, actually. I don't even know who ate it! Hahaha.

And OMG, whyyy??? Gymming is self-inflicted torture!

Zhen Ying said...

I don't do weights, run on the tread mill, and all those boring stuff. I join the gym classes. They're so fun!!! :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zhen Ying
– Hahaha. Ok then you're redeemed a little in my eyes. I don't mind the classes. But training is just so mind-numbing I don't know how you do it. Run on a treadmill? Why? You don't get anywhere. Haha.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!