Wednesday, August 17, 2011

New Name

Today, for the very first time,
a stranger called me Mrs K.


You see, last weekend, The Husband ordered a brand new pair of glasses from one of the malls in Penang. But since his lens was to be some super-duper-uber, NASA-approved, unbreakable, space-shuttle lens, it couldn't be ready in the 1 hour it usually takes for a typical pair of glasses to be ready. So he told the saleswoman, "It's okay. My wife is here in Penang so she can collect it for me. You call her, ok?" Obviously the woman said, "Ok," and before I knew it, my number was on the receipt.


Well, today rolled along and at 6.30PM, my phone rang.
Unknown number. Without thinking much about it,
I picked up the call and asked, "Hello?"

"Mrs K, issit?" came the reply.


For awhile there, I was speechless. The name was definitely familiar. In fact, I recognised it all too well. But it felt so strange answering to a name I've witnessed countless others call my MIL a million times before! Mrs K. A part of me felt guilty. Like I was eavesdropping on a conversation I should not be listening to. Or like I was committing identity fraud and was personality-jacking my own MIL's identity. Haha. Weird but true.


Then my head snapped back on and I continued the conversation with my brain barely half connected, "Yes?" "Hi, Mrs K, I'm calling from bla bla bla optical shop. Your husband's glasses ready already ya? You can come collect anytime," the lady said. "Ok," I replied. Still semi-stunned. And then... I started smiling. To myself. In the middle of the empty office corridor. Mrs K. Haha. New name. Just a month and a week old. Gotta start getting used to it. =)

7 comments :

Zhen Ying said...

Hahaha, get use to it girl. Lots of people are gonna start calling you Mrs K from now on. Remember how it was when you first started dating? Its was weird calling the other half your BF ;p

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zhen Ying
– Hahaha. Speaking from experience!! Hahaha. And no fair! I'm getting used to TWO things. Calling him husband and the new name. Non-parallel example! Haha.

Zhen Ying said...

Unfortunately, getting use to calling him husband and the new name go hand-in-hand. They're not seperate entities. Hahaha.

Melsong said...

Strange, nice, funny feeling. But ooh so wonderful : ), right?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Zhen Ying
– Haha. Buy one, free one. =p


ATTN: Melsong
– Hahaha. Yeah, kinda. =p

Lissa said...

LOL. So cute. :P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Teething with the new name at the mo. Dunno if teething is cute. =p

Post a Comment

Talk to me!