Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Soul Kitchen Trattoria, Lebuh Muntri

Sunday lunch was spent at a quaint little place
on the island called Soul Kitchen Trattoria.


 


I actually have no idea what Trattoria means
but Wikipedia (via Google) tells me that...

A trattoria (Italian pronunciation: [trattoˈria]) is an Italian-style eating establishment, less formal than a ristorante, but more formal than an osteria. There are generally no printed menus, the service is casual, wine is sold by the decanter rather than the bottle, prices are low, and the emphasis is on a steady clientele rather than on haute cuisine. The food is modest but plentiful (mostly following regional and local recipes) and in some instances is even served family-style (i.e. at common tables). [Source]

Ok? Educated now?
Cool. Moving on...


Mee's wanted to try it out for the longest time now but each visit made was met with disappointment because she never made reservations. The restaurant was always full! But this time around, we got lucky. She called just before we headed that way and managed to get us a table. Yay! =)


Reserved for us!


Handwritten menus.


With tiny teacups to adorn the corners! =p


Service was friendly and it looked like
the store owners were... a couple?




I'm guessing only lah. Pakai tembak nia so don't point fingers at me if I'm wrong and they actually each have their own spouses to go home to at the end of the day. @_@ Ok, better talk about safer things. THE FOOD!


Taking our order.


We all ended up ordering
different dishes and drinks from each other.

Naturally the drinks came first.


 My OJ and Mee's... apple juice?


Food took a little longer so I got up and
went on a clicking frenzy all over the shop.

What's new, right? =p


Old windows!


Digging the blackboard menu
and flower-power wallpaper big time.


Flower-power wallpaper! I can totally see
the lamp prancing around singing "Be Our Guest". =p


A staircase at a corner that probably leads up to
the owners' living quarters. No Entry thataway.


Retro seat upholstery as seen on the chair in the picture above.


An old TV cover that's been hollowed out
for storage! What a neat idea!


Ah Pek chairs outside (just like the ones
my Kong Kong used to have), put together
with mismatched upholstered chairs.


Open-ish kitchen and a totally rugged ang mor boss.


After I ran out of things to shoot, I returned to the table and sat down to join the conversation. Nobody missed me while I was gone, by the way. Turns out conversation was just as interesting and stimulating even without me there. -_-'''




Let this be a lesson to us all. If you don't want to be forgotten, DON'T. LEAVE. Why? Cos people the people who say will miss you? THEY. WILL. MOVE. ON. Just like how my friends in KL have all moved on with their lives and forgotten about my existence. *over-dramatic* T_T


And then the food came.


 Penne Carbonara


The Fiancé's Penne Carbonara. The taste of bacon in this dish was simply divine. And I'm not even a fan of pork! Hahaha. I'd totally have snitched more off his plate if carbonara didn't make me sick. (Seriously. In large doses – i.e. 1 plate – it does. @_@)


Pasta Chicken al Limone


Dee's Pasta Chicken al Limone was apparently very good, too. Dee wiped his plate CLEAN! Dun even need to wash, man. Haha.


Salmon Steak


Mee's Salmon Steak. I had a taste of it and it was good. I would totally order it again if I was a fan of lemon-y dishes. But I'm not so... yeah.


Lasagne


Lasagne is my usual Italian food order. It's safe, it's affordable, and it's fast. You can't really go wrong with lasagne, really. Except I'm picky and I prefer the taste of creamy-cheesy lasagnes over tomato paste lasagnes. Unfortunately for me, this one turned out to be a tomato paste lasagne. Boo hoo. =(




Edible but not thoroughly enjoyable. For me, I mean.
Others would probably like it more than I did. :-/

Anyway, we ended lunch with
light alcohol in cake – Tiramisu!


Tiramisu


Not the best I've ever had*, but edible nonetheless.


The bill. Gotta love that paper weight. Haha.


After eating our fill, we asked for the bill. I'd say the food was fair-priced for Italian but a little pricey for a non-air-conditioned establishment. Drinks were a little pricey, too, considering the petite size of the glasses they came in. But if you've got money to spare and are into good music and a nice, cosy atmosphere, you've found your spot.


* The Tiramisu I like best is from Ritz Bakery, Prima Tanjung, Tanjung Tokong, Penang. =)


--------------------------------
SOUL KITCHEN TRATTORIA
--------------------------------
102, Lebuh Muntri,
10200, Georgetown,
Penang, Malaysia.
(Opposite Hainan Association)

Tel: +604 261 3118 / +6012 594 3522
http://soulkitchencafe.blogspot.com/

Business Hours: 10am - 3pm, 6pm - 9pm. Closed on Tuesday.

3 comments :

infinitium said...

love the place... have been going for the past half year or so. yeah, prices are a little steep, but you pay for what you get me thinks (essentially home-cooked stuff).

did you meet Forest? he's their dog. nice mutt. often gets locked up at the top of the stairs for misbehavior. heh!

owners are nice folks... tonio and michelle. tonio's german... and the tiramisu recipe comes from his granddad.

/end gush :)

RealGunners said...

there's quite a number of such establishments around that area, western/european eatery in old school local deco, run buy local + angmoh couple.. mostly also quite nice one the food ^^

this one is new to me though, seems like time to head over to town again soon :D

Pam Song said...

ATTN: infinitium
– Haha. That was a gush, alright. =p

Food's good lah but the price makes it a little impossible to visit all the time. Haha.

Yeah, I saw the dog! Didn't know it was theirs. Thought it was a very well-behaved stray. @_@ Looks like you very kenal kenal with them, man! Hahaha. So I was right! They're a couple! =p


ATTN: RealGunners
– Haha. Yeah, saw a few along the way there also. Very quaint and charming lah, that area.

Ya ya! Go try! It's not bad. Plus, the music when I went there was kind cool.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!