Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Last Forever

I've never had to decorate a room before. Maybe cos I've never had an empty room to work with from scratch before either. Hahaha. As far as I can remember, my family home was delivered to us with furniture and fitted cabinets intact. (I was also too young then to know about decorating and the like.)


And when I was studying and working in KL, I always rented rooms. So it was always about doing as little as possible for less than necessary. I made do with whatever I already had from the room before, and used them for rooms to come. Furniture was always (re)movable, shelves were DIY and make-shift, and I always personalised my space without the help of paint, wallpaper or matching curtains.


But now that we're planning our room for the new place, I've had to exercise my non-existent ID muscles and work out how our room is going to be and look like. Drawing up the wardrobe (preferred measurements included), picking out wall colours, choosing table lamination shades, deciding on shelving space – W.H.O.A. I never knew decorating could involve so many confusing variables! Heck, I'll even go as far as to suggest that it could be tougher than planning a wedding! =p


Thing is, every decision made now is as permanent as fitted cabinets to an empty wall. The paint? It never changes. The wallpaper? That'll probably stay till the edges start curling off the walls. And the curtains? They're a BIG investment considering the number of windows we'll be covering so that's not going to be swapped for another shade, design or texture any time in the near future either.


For the most part, I'm pleased to say that things are working out well with the room. =) Fittings and walls have been decided on and are already in the works. But we're putting off some other decisions that can be put off till The Fiancé returns, so we can decide on things together. Things like wallpaper. And curtains.


But until then, I've been tasked
to keep an eye out for our bed.

And gosh, you have no idea
how difficult it is to find a nice bed!


The market seems to fancy elaborate beds so gaudy and overdone it'd make Mika blush and Gaga gag. Seriously. What is wrong with the furniture industry these days?? Me no understands. What's with the throne-like headboard? What's with the curly, twirly legs? And what is with the hundreds of faux diamond studs all over?? Can sleep meh so bling!?


*shakes head in confusion* 


What happened to simple and tasteful designs that offer the promise of a timeless furniture piece built to last the ups and downs of married life that bring bouts of morning sickness, baby-in-between bedtimes, jumping toddlers, testy teenagers, empty-nester tears and of course, the afternoon naps with pampered grandchildren? We want a bed like that!




Aww, a man after my own heart. =)

<3

Now all we need is a furniture designer
who is of the same opinion. =p

10 comments :

陳一豪 said...

Bed has to be strong.

*grins*

Pam Song said...

ATTN: 陳一豪
– @_@ WTH. Eh, student! No homework ah? Go be productive can? Haha.

ChickLit said...

Plannin on gettin lotsa wear-and-tear outta it?
:-p

Lissa said...

Did you mean to censor his name? Or did you have a nickname for him that you did not want us to see? >.> Just asking. :P

Pam Song said...

ATTN: ChickLit
– Haha. I'm 26. If I die at 80, that's 54 years of sleeping. So yes, I plan to find a bed that can support us for the next 54 (fingers crossed!) years of our lives.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Hahaha. No lah. I censored it cos it was his email add. =)

Lissa said...

Ah. <.<

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Haha. Sorry, not that mushy this time. =p

Lissa said...

XD

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Now I'm gonna ask you.. What do YOU call Reuby? Hahahaha.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!