Tuesday, October 19, 2010

@the Sun Restaurant, Sun Yat Sen Memorial Centre, Penang



Remember that Malaysian LLB from @the Sun that I published earlier today? Well, Melhung wanted to know how the food was at the Sun Yet Sen (that's the building @the Sun is located) so... Melhung, this one's for you! =)


To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this restaurant cos I'd never heard of it before. Like, EVER. Plus, the thought of having a meal at a memorial centre didn't exactly bring the words "yum" to mind. Oh, and heritage buildings like that usually have kitchens that whip up "traditional food" (i.e. Nonya cuisine, etc). And I'm not really a traditional food kind of girl. (I can do traditional once in awhile lah. But it's usually not a regular favourite.) So... yeah. I wasn't expecting to be wow-ed away.


But... I was! By the decor. =p




Green walls and brown beams?
How non-traditional! I like!


 Dee playing with his phone.


 Mee and I made him stop to take our picture. =p


And then we continued camwhoring.


So, in terms of the look and feel of the restaurant, I'd give it a thumbs up. I think they did a pretty good job sprucing up the place. Now, let's talk about the food.


I can't really remember everything they had to offer but I must say I was surprised that it served Western cuisine... and not traditional food. Haha. Can't expand on that though. Forget liao. That's the problem with procrastinated blog posts. =p


There was a set lunch promo available at the time – that much I remember. Cos, I remember opting for being the el-cheapo Penangite in all my Chinese glory and ordering the salmon lunch set that came with soup (Mushroom Soup), drink (Iced Lemon Tea) and dessert (Tiramisu Cake). =p


 My salmon something-something.


The other side of my salmon something-something.


It looks moderately impressive and the sizing is pretty generous considering the usual cuts of salmon we usually get served at the really atas restaurants. But... it wasn't very tasty. The fish was bland, and so was the sauce/dressing. I mean, if close one eye, can makan lah. Won't die. But nothing great I'd remember or recommend. True story. :-/


And although the service staff were nice, I remember them having very weird serving practices. Like bringing our Iced Lemon Tea orders after our meal. @_@ Where got liddat wan?! Cold drinks are supposed to come first ma. Only hot coffee or tea comes with dessert at the end of the meal. So... that was weird.


On a whole, I'd say the dining experience wasn't great. The rockin' ambience only makes up for half of it. I probably wouldn't go back a second time. Not for the price I paid. The ambience just isn't worth RM20+ per so-so meal. I could get so-so meals for a lot cheaper elsewhere.


BUT... if you're into having a small birthday party or a quiet wedding reception at a nice-to-look-at location, and are willing to sacrifice on food quality for nice pictures, I'd say @the Sun is your place. Otherwise, don't bother.


------------
@the Sun
------------
Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Centre Penang,
65, Macalister Road,
10400 Penang.
Tel: +604 226 5181 / +6012 451 1710

4 comments :

Melhung said...

Thanks for the post! So the ambience is nice...Salmon oso huge hor...! ...they were afraid dat customers couldnt finish their maincourse dat's y they serve u later...? weirdo ~! ...love the green wall! u're rite, maybe private function would be nice!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melhung
– Haha. No probs. Was behind on my posting anyway. You just gave me the nudge I needed to get to it. Haha.

And yeah, the salmon was big. But... takkan they want their customers to die of thirst while they eat their huge salmon right? Drinks should come first. Haha.

Melhung said...

can't wait for our outing!!!!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melhung
– Hahaha. Me neither! It's gonna be an awesome time. Too bad it's not in the next 5 days. Cos I've got a food review to write. Hahaha.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!