Monday, October 25, 2010

Passions Of Kerala, New World Park

I tell you, Kanna Curry House, Petaling Jaya has officially converted me into a Banana Leaf Rice addict. Unfortunately for me, Penang doesn't have a Kanna Curry House. But never the matter. Not in Penang, the Land of Good Food. Cos the Land of Good Food has...


*drum roll* 

Passions of Kerala.




Situated in New World Park between Burma Road, Swatow Lane and Hutton Lane, this Indian restaurant boasts to have "The Best In Banana Leaf Cuisine" right at its entryway. Haha. A very brave claim, I must say. Especially in Penang where good food is found everywhere, and bad food is never tolerated. =p


First things first. Do not be fooled by the quiet entrance like I was, dear friends. For behind the tinted glass was a pretty big lunch crowd. Look!




There was only ONE table available when we entered. The very one that Dee, Mee and I eventually took after realising that all the other tables were occupied. That means that as soon as we sat down, they officially had a full house. *impressed* 


But enough about that. Let's talk FOOD.


The menu.


What I liked was that the menu had pictures and descriptors in them beside the dish names. So even if you're jakun and totally unfamiliar with Indian food, you wouldn't have a problem deciphering the types of dishes available and placing your order. =)


 Vegetarian set.


 Additional dishes.


 Drinks on the menu.


Naturally, we ordered the Banana Leaf Rice.
The Vegetarian Set is the standard order.


 Cabbage, ladies fingers and tofu with rice on a banana leaf.


But I'm never standard. (Object and I'll crucify you upside down.) So I went rogue and picked the Plain Set instead. Meaning, all I get to begin with is white rice on a plain banana leaf. HAHA.




And three different types of curry.


 Fish curry, chicken curry and dahl.


HAHAHA. Just rice and curry.
Like masuk penjara wei! =p
 
But don't worry la.
All's good cos we also ordered Fried Fish...




...and Chicken Masala.




IMHO, the Chicken Masala was... just so-so. Sure, the meat was nice and tender and all that. But it was the fish that stole the limelight. Thinking about it now, I really should have gone Oliver on them and asked for more.


*licks lips*


 

*swallows saliva*

Okay, okay. Don't wanna talk
about food liao. Hungry. Haha.

 Drinkssss!!!




I ordered my regular Teh 'O' Ais Kurang Manis. (That's tea with no milk and less sugar.) And what I liked was that their kurang manis was really kurang manis. I don't know what it is with drink vendors these days but everything they make is just too sweet! Beh tahan. See also can get diabetes, man. -_-'''


But I digress.

Back to Passions Of Kerala. =p


You know, I can see why Passions Of Kerala is such a popular restaurant. The place is clean (no sticky tables or oily floors), it doesn't smell funky (unlike a lot of other Indian restaurants I've visited -_-), the service is fast (considering the crowd, we didn't really have to wait long), and the staff are efficient and friendly. Plus, its air-conditioned environment makes it a good place to escape the tropical noon-day heat and humidity of Penang Island. =p
 

Anyway, our bill for three came up to RM32.00.




Not as cheap as Kanna Curry House,
but a lot cleaner and cooler. Haha.

Comfort always comes with a price. =p




--------------------------
PASSIONS OF KERALA
--------------------------

102 Lot C3,
New World Park,
Jalan Burma,
10050 Penang.

Tel: +604 227 2550 / +6012 438 8550

Open daily from 11:30am – 3:30pm and 6:00pm – 10:00pm.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Talk to me!