Wednesday, April 07, 2010

I Am From The Local. Never Bluff. Can Check IC.

Went for a facial last weekend and ended up having the most bizarre conversation with two of the service staff at the counter before leaving. While writing down my name and IC number, the facial girl suddenly turned to me and asked:


Facial Girl 1: Eh, are you from the local?

Pam Song: *confused* Hmmm?

Facial Girl 2: Like, are you from here? L-o-c-a-l. (Really spelling it out for me and talking like I'm stupid or slow. -_-')

Pam Song: Uh... If by 'local' you mean from KL, then no.

Facial Girl 1: Oh! Haha! Ya, ya. (At this point I really thought she was psycho already... until she said the next line.) I see also I know you not from the local wan.

Pam Song: *getting more confused* You can tell I'm not from here??

Facial Girl 1: So, you from where? (She ignored my question!)

Pam Song: Okayyy... *disbelief* I'm from Penang.

Facial Girl 1: *blink blink* Oh! *pause* HAHAHA. I thought you from Korea!

Pam Song: Wth?? -_-'''

Facial Girl 2: Ya, ya! Me also! Cos you dun speak our language and your colour very white!

Pam Song: @_@ *faints*


It's funny but this episode brought back memories of how I used to be called 'Korea' by my primary school teacher. Oh, and my secondary school kantin kopi uncle used to say I was lying to him for telling him I'm Chinese. Haha. Those were the days...


Anyways, there are still times when I'm confused for not being local – by random sales peeps and the like. Then last Friday, Sausage Boy even mentioned that he thought I didn't have the typical Cina face. (We were talking about Sungai Wang Lala Muis. =p)


But of all the times it's happened,
this time felt the most bizarre. Haha.


Walauuuu! I mean, how could she possibly think that I'm not local? She was holding my MALAYSIAN Identification Card! -_-' You know, I think I blame my Chinese name this time. Seriously. My guess is that if she hadn't taken down my name, she wouldn't have ended up asking me those questions.


p/s: Don't bother asking me what my Chinese name is. I won't give you an answer. Not even if you use AMA against me. Heh.

12 comments :

Lissa said...

LOL! Awesome. During my first year, the locals here weren't sure if I was Chinese, Korean or Japanese. Haha... :P

test said...

Hmmm I wonder the rela wikk spot check u for IC?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lissa
– Haha. Sometimes I dunno if it's a good or a bad thing. =p

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Spectre
– Oh my goodness I dun even know what you just said. Haha. What's rela wikk?!

Leonard said...

Haha, i am sure it's not only your name. Come here... you see if the locals here talk to you in Korean. Happen to me in several places, but not in Korea though ...

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Leonard
– Hahaha. So I can safely assume you don't look like any of the Korean guys I've seen on TV? Haha.

I guess it's to be expected in Korea where there's a 'Korean look'. But in Malaysia? Hmmm. I thought it was funny to assume I didn't look 'Malaysian'. What happened to 1 Malaysia, man? HAHA.

choco said...

Well, I get confused as a Korean alllllll the time -_-

陳一豪 said...

Ah-Mei do you have a photo of your younger days?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: choco
– Haha. Good thing? =p


ATTN: 陳一豪
– Hahaha. Yeah, I do, actually! But the pics are in Penang. And they're developed. No films... sadly. =(

flux said...

Hello there Korean lady :P

Leonard said...

hmm.. let me revise that, happened a few times this few days.

Do we really get a "Malaysian" look, i dunno.. but..but... what is 1Malaysia? err.. can eat wan ah ...lol. ;-)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: flux
– Haha. Don't lie. You never thought I looked Korean until I said so! =p


ATTN: Leonard
– Haha. You, too, huh? Urm... I don't think we have a 'Malaysian Look' per say. But there are subtle non-verbal clues that we present our Malaysian-ness, I think.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!