Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sleep Is A Sadist

Why is it that it is always when you need Sleep the most, that it most often obstinately refuses to come in obedience to the will of the Mind and Body? Ironic how that's usually the case, isn't it?


Take now, for instance. I'm physically tired and mentally worn out from the emotional ups and downs of the day. But Mind – oh, silly her – she keeps going on and on about things she is unable to envision, predict or control. Thus, causing Body to lose out on precious sleep that's going to help both, Body and Mind, last through Tomorrow.


You know, I tell myself that Sleep is the choice of the weak. Cos I'd like to think that I'm tough. And strong. Strong enough to make it through the day without her on my side. But in reality, I only dare think that way because I know that Adrenaline – oh, dear Adrenaline who loves me so – is going to be there to take her place.


Never has she deserted me no matter how far Sleep has strayed from my side. Never has she let me down. Loyal, trustworthy and faithful always, I know that she'll be the one I'll be counting on come Tomorrow, with the untimely absence of the very-temperamental Sleep.


It's a compromise. Because I know I'd very much rather have Sleep instead. But since that impossible woman is currently cruelly dodging my advances (truth be told, I think she's pretty much avoiding me altogether tonight), I'll settle for a date with trusty Adrenaline when the morning comes.

3 comments :

Leonard said...

Ahh, so oh, so familiar. It's a case of hyper-active mind i suppose. once you control or bring down the activities of your mind/thoughts, Sleep inevitably comes ...invitingly i might add.

Rest well, more importantly ... take care.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Leonard
– Yeah, it's the hyperactivity in the brain that refuses to let up. Bleh. I'm so going to pay for this come Monday. T_T

Simon Seow said...

I just got my needed 8 hrs sleep yesterday. Bliss.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!