Monday, July 27, 2009

Brainy Bimbo Books



Good book, this one. The writer's got flair. Injects lotsa style into her words like a kick-butt, no nonsense, leap-before-you-look Texan woman should. Timeline of story's pretty good, too. Very wonky. Lotsa flashbacks. I like. Anyhoo, betcha didn't think of this:

"Carbon monoxide is a colorless,
odorless, and extremely deadly gas––


Hmm. How can something be extremely deadly? I mean, are there degrees of deadliness? If it's deadly, it's deadly, right? Ain't no extreme about it folks. Extremely deadly is extremely redundant in my humble opinion. But I guess I'm nit-picking."

– Madeline Piatro,
protagonist in Jo Barrett's novel,
This Is How It Happened

Well well, won't you look at that.
Now, who says chicklit ain't intelligent?

4 comments :

Tiong said...

since it's so difficult to blog... you should go out mabuks. it'll be a refreshing change.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Tiong
– But if mabuk, lose memory wor. This wan when I blog, I add memories. =)

Melissa said...

Ah, Jo Barrett.

Go check out her book in The Little Black Dress series, The Men's Guide To The Women's Bathroom.

It's a chick-lit, but it's not corny and cheesy. It's funny too. =)

Tiong said...

well pam, i blog to remind me of what i did during my mabuks sessions. and drinking memories are always good...

Post a Comment

Talk to me!