Monday, December 08, 2008

I Want A Guy

I want a guy who'd watch a bad movie just cos he'd be watching it with me. "Chick flick? Sure. As long as it's with you in my arms, baby." And with a smile, too. He'd watch all four seasons of So You Think You Can Dance and not think it sissy in any way. A guy who doesn't think he's too cool for Grey's Anatomy. Who'd gladly watch it with me and not secretly hate how emo everything is in it.


I want a guy who'd share tubs of Vanilla ice-cream with me throughout lazy Sundays whenever we go through our dated DVD collection. A guy who wouldn't complain about my odd eating habits and quirky food preferences. And he wouldn't force me to change anything about it either. In fact, he'd remember what I like and what I don't. He'd know that chicken skin, bulls balls and garnish aren't for me. And would try not to put me in a position where I'll be forced to chow down anything I don't want to.


I want a guy who will wrestle me during playtime but would never hurt me in any way when it comes down to the things that matter. He'd tell me ghost stories so I'd shimmy closer to him, and then tell me that there are no such things as ghost once he's got me right where he wants me. He'd pillow-fight me till we both drop from exhaustion, and then fall asleep with his head next to mine on that same pillow. Then he'd piggyback me for kicks and call it exercise.


I want a guy who'll understand that there are days when I want to dress up and look pretty. Someone who'll also understand that as much as there are pretty days, there are bad hair days, eyebag days and fat days, too. I want a guy who'd like dressing up every once in awhile. And would appreciate my dressing up for him. He'd commend my effort and know when I've got new hair, new clothes or new shoes and nail polish on. He doesn't govern my wardrobe. Doesn't forbid my going out in certain clothes. And doesn't expect me to look like Plain Jane just cos I'm already attached.


I want a guy who understands that shopping, to girls, is a sport. It's exercise. Healthy, weekly exercise. And if invited, he'll be willing to come along for the ride and offer constructive criticism along the way should the need arise. On the other hand, he'd also understand that there are times when I'll want to shop with my girlfriends. And he shouldn't feel threatened that my preference for their company on certain days means that what we have isn't a priority for me.


I want a guy who'd understand that it would be inevitable that I get emo and moody sometimes. And that there'll be days when I just don't feel like being the nice, obliging girl I was raised to be. When I rant, he'd listen. Not preach. And he'd try to understand what I'm saying even though I'm saying it all wrong. He wouldn't fault me for my bad days but would be the one I'd end up turning to to make those days better.


I want a guy who believes in me and in all I can do. A guy who would never tear me down with mean and insensitive words. A guy who uplifts me and and restores what the rest of the world takes away. I want a guy who'd say nice things to me, offer me sincere compliments, and continue to call me pet names even when we're old, wrinkled and grey. He'd be fiercely protective over me but would never ever be possessive because he understands that my love for him is a gift, and that it's something he never deserved in the first place.


I want a guy who will text me in the middle of the day just to tell me that he can't stop thinking about me. The same guy who would later call me at 5 in the morning just to tell me he misses the sound of my voice and doesn't want to go to sleep before hearing it again. The person I want will love me for all of time. He'd be the one person who could break my heart but wouldn't ever dream of doing it.


I want a guy who'd want our worlds to cross. He'd want to meet my friends. And can't wait to show me off to his own. But he'd also understand that as much as we're together, we're still two individuals living separate lives. No need for being joined at the hip, but never a moment when the other isn't in mind. He'd have his friends, I'd have mine. So, instead of losing ourselves to our relationship and losing our friends along the way because of it, our worlds would have grown to be more than it could have ever been if we hadn't have met and gotten together.


I want a guy who'd want to meet my parents. And would then genuinely like their company. (Hey, my parents are very nice folk, even if I do say so myself!) He'd want to be a part of my family – immediate and extended – as much as he'd want me to be a part of his. That way, not only does integration happen on his side of the family, it happens on mine, too. A romantic relationship is, after all, the coming together of two worlds. Not just two individuals.


I want a guy who would understand the demands of my job. A guy who will see how much I love doing what I do and would also learn to love the fact that loving what I do makes me happy. He won't complain, he won't murmur, but he'll tell me his concerns and allow me room to make my own decisions. I want a guy who would respect me and my decisions enough to never diss my job, my place of work, or my chosen career path. He'd want what's best for me and my career.


I want a guy who doesn't fear commitment. And one who doesn't run from responsibility. He's dependable, sensible, steadfast, honourable and trustworthy. A guy who doesn't condone third-party relationships because he belives in being faithful and loyal to the one who's trusted him enough to place her heart in his hands. To this guy, till-death-do-us-part is more than just lines in a script he was made to say one day in his lifetime. It's more than that. It's a vow to be kept and honoured for all of time.

34 comments :

ming said...

ok i will send santa your wishlist.

CincauHangus.com said...

grey's is cool. i download their soundtracks for kicks.

Denise-T said...

Gosh Pamela. I love what u have wrote on this post. Beautifully written. =)

Danny Wong said...

What if the guy fits all that turns up to be your secondary school's biggest nerd (still looks the same). Do you still want this guy?

Someone sings "becareful what you wish for, cos you just might get it all, and then some you don't want".

I know this sounded really "uncle", but you might just want a guy who respect you, genuinely love and cares for you - ultimately thats what keeps you warm.

Unknown said...

So u like someone to lock you in a Figure 4 leg lock or a Jiu Jitsu arm bar???

DAMN!!! You're the shiznit!

But relli, Aawwwww....

Jeffro said...

*phew* so long din drop by, and this wishlist.. But...

Ooo.. I would like to be that kinda guy.. So patient and understanding..

Too bad guys lidat are either taken or gay.. =(

nithyakuthiah said...

You just had to la Song.

Anonymous said...

Honestly...you will get all the attentions that you want if he loves you....but if he is good husband, he must also know how to correct la...

Love is not how much you have taken but how much you are receptive into giving too....=) Cos the ultimate joy of giving to the love ones is the oppportunity to signature smiles on their faces....Give and Take la...No man is perfect; neither do woman.

Its a milestone ahead when you know what you want clicks with the reality....=)haha.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: ming
– Thank you. By airmail please? I only have 2.5 weeks to Christmas!


ATTN: CincauHangus.com
– Haha. I know! I have the soundtrack, too! =)


ATTN: Denise
– Awww, thanks! I'm glad you liked it. =)


ATTN: Loose To Win
– Why not? Nerd schmerd. Outlook isn't everything lah. And the guy I described doesn't seem to nerdy to me. =p

And about men who care, love and respect... well, to me, that's gotta be a given.


ATTN: Chris
– I'm just gonna focus on that 'Awwwwww' for now. *smack*


ATTN: Jeffro
– Hahahaha. You're right. They're always taken or gay. Bleh.


ATTN: - nithya -
– Haha. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, babe. =p


ATTN: Adrian Lim
– Well, of course. But what I do for my man and who I am towards him doesn't change what I want from my ideal guy, too. So he can go make his wishes. These are mine.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...then he should make a simple wish "To fullfill all my sweatheart wishes and wish that she ask for the right wishes"...Tada! Mwahahaha....=P

-yong may- said...

I want this sort of guy too. He's so dreamy... *sighs*

KIM said...

totally perfect.but question.does it exist?

LOVE the post..

luxen said...

oh, I know that guy... he's gay.

ling said...

this is so complete, i'd like to link it to my blog if it's okay with you!!..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Adrian Lim
– Haha. You make it sound so easy!


ATTN: -yong may-
– I know, riiiggghhttt????? Sigh. If only lah, babe. If only. WE'VE GOTTA PRAY HARDER!!!


ATTN: kim
– Hahahaha. Interesting how you called the dreamy guy an 'It'. =p Haha. Either way, I'm glad you love the post. =)


ATTN: luxen
– Ooo. Somebody's bitter! Hahahaha.


ATTN: lydiascl
– Haha. Go ahead, babe. Link away!

Jeffro said...

well pray hard.. u might get what you this Christmas.. =D *winks*

Anonymous said...

sorry i'm taken... all the best tho... :D

RealGunners said...

i can't believe i actually read the entire post word by word.. actually u can just summarize it in 1 sentence: i want a perfect man, full-stop.

and ah.. i'm sorry for working like a dog for the past month or 2 and hence the lack of stalking but.. what's with this post? the last time i stalked, u were talking about getting married?? @@

yapthomas said...

A guy would also 'want' a gal who has the same similar traits too... Just turn it around...

Psst: I heard, if you put your this wish in the big huge stocking, Santa would get you what you wish for... :P

B.H. said...

Nicely done. Unabashed but practical.

By the way, thought you would like to know you misspelled "possessive" and "believes".

B.H.

amb3r1te said...

totally agree! shaun fits in the 1st 2 paragraphs, and is pretty blur on the rest. LOL!

hmm... maybe i should make him read this as a guide... =p

sheon said...

thats easy.

now, would you pledge to do the same?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Jeffro
– Haha. What? My dream guy's gonna appear in a stocking by the fireplace this Christmas? =p


ATTN: lomantik
– Eeleh. Show off!


ATTN: RealGunners
– Eh, I like being long-winded ma. Cannot meh? Ish! And anyway, it gives you reading practice. HAHA. I believe that reading is a good habit to pick up. =p

Hahaha. Dun think so much about the reasons for my posts. Haha. All you need to know is that I WANT A GUY WHO IS ALL THIS AND MORE!


ATTN: yapthomas
– Eh, a bit different lah what women want and what guys want. -_-

And ok. If I put this wish in a stocking, YOU MAKE SURE IT COMES TRUE AH!


ATTN: B.H.
– Awww, thanks! And I found the misspelled "possessive". But the "believes" one... MANA??? =_=


ATTN: amb3r1te
– HAHAHA. YES! Make him read it! =p This is a sub OTJ already. HAHA.


ATTN: sheon
– I couldn't do the same. I would do different but I would do what's needed from a girl. Or at least try to.

kam*yu said...

I've got a guy, and he does all of the above. *smiles dreamily*

sheon said...

kam*yu (goldfish?): good for you. better appreciate him.

i was like him once, but my efforts were not rewarded with loyalty. :) devastatingly heartbroken, but then i wouldnt wanna have a gf/wife who is an opportunist, would i?

yapthomas said...

Diff? Just a slight twist lah... But then again, what happened to "Nan Ren Mei You Hau Dong Xi"??

MAKE SURE AH? Si liao lah... I go fren-fren with all Santa in town first...

Jeffro said...

Ahhh.. that would be the ideal wish ei? Or are you wishing that he was only in socks?? LOL =D

Charlie said...

hahaha, nicely written. how to find such a perfect guy ? do tell me when you really found one.


good luck

Pam Song said...

ATTN: kam*yu
– Waaa. So fortunate. Eh, he got brother ah? HAHAHA.


ATTN: sheon
– Eh eh! Jaded story datang lagi! NO MORE JADEDNESSSS!!! Glass half full, Sheon! Plenty of good girls left in the world.


ATTN: yapthomas
– Nan ren still mei you hao dong xi. And you better hope that what you say comes to past. Heh. Shoulders painful and back aching yet or not? =p


ATTN: Jeffro
– HAHAHAHA. Both? =p


ATTN: Charlie
– Haha. Thanks, Charlie. And I don't know where to find such a perfect guy. If I did, I'd have found him already. Haha. And I doubt I'll tell when I find him. Will definitely leave you guys a note if I marry him though. =p

Unknown said...

if he got brother you want meh tinki?

hey, at least thats the real story i can inspire people with mah....... :P

Charlie said...

lol, not planning to invite bloggers to attend your wedding ah ?

wei where is the photo we took during the haloween parteee?

jennykoo said...

I hope you get this guy. Then we can put him up, as an example to the rest of the guys: "Hey! This man exists!" I believe for everyone, there is a perfect man and there is a perfect woman.

I mean, we all know the perfect woman definitely exists. Hahaha...

YL said...

ooh well. all you yearn for is a fairytale, please rmbr even men are human, what would you do to be a fantastic girlfriend in return?

lol. why dont you blog a perfect girlfriend-to-be-post in response?

Pam Song said...

ATTN: lochangyong
– Hahaha. Mayyybeeee. =p


ATTN: Charlie
– Haha. What? Blogger coverage? Ooo. The pic is still in my files. Haha. I haven't posted about the party yet also lah. So slack! +_=


ATTN: jennykoo
– Hahaha. I believe he's out there somewhere. Keeping my fingers crossed till the day I meet him. No wait. Till the day he's mine. =p

And yeah. HAHA. Perfect womEn are everywhere. =p


ATTN: Yi Ling
– Eee. So jaded lah your views on men, love and relationships. I don't think that what I'm asking for is too much. I know many guys out there who carry a number of the traits I've mentioned. Just that all these traits don't come in just one guy. HAHA.

And if you pay attention, you'll see that to me, it's the non-materialistic, effort-based, personality-driven things that matter. It's not impossible. And I pledge to be the best girlfriend I can be. I may not be perfect. But that's ok. It doesn't mean I'll not TRY. Haha.

And a guy reader/friend has already written an I-Want-A-Girl in response to this. Haha. He emailed it to me. =p

Post a Comment

Talk to me!