Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Chronic Case Of Lies

I HATE PEOPLE WHO LIE.


Seriously. I do. Whether it's a lie to get yourself out of trouble. A lie to pretend that you agree with someone on something in order to gain their approval. Or a lie that's employed as a PR tool to obtain something you wouldn't have deserved otherwise,... it doesn't matter. All three are equally as bad in my books. (There are others, of course. Waaay too many to speak of.)


If you ask me, I personally think that liars are the worst kind of people to befriend or to have any kind of relationship with. You never know if you can trust what they tell you. You never know if their intentions are true. And you never really know if you're already being punked, taken for a fool of and/or misled by these deceitful folk with no conscience whatsoever.


Now for some clarification: Let's not go into the context of 'righteous lying' for purpose of narrowing down the scope of this discussion, shall we? (*rolls eyes* As if there was such a thing in the first place. Pfft.) To me, 'righteous lying' is akin to a doctor telling his patient that his patient's not dying when in fact he is, just because the patient's daughter pleaded otherwise for fear that the loved one would not be able to handle the news. Or say when your friend asks you if she's grown fatter and you say, "Nah, not really lah, I think," when in fact you KNOW that she's ballooned like a bullfrog.


Other than such grey-tinged lies (...and again I say, "Pfft."),
I think everything else is pretty black and white, right?


I don't enjoy being taken on emotional joy rides. I don't like being thrown into playing mind games. I don't appreciate being misled to believe something that isn't true. And I sure don't enjoy being as jaded as I am. But it's because of LIARS like you that I am the way I am – a skeptic with a chronic fear of having to trust in the words (and sometimes even actions) of others around me.


So if you've done unto others any of the things I've mentioned above, let me ask you this: When you lie, do you not feel any remorse for decieving the people you so blatantly lie to? Do you not feel guilty for misleading them. Do you not feel pangs of conscience? And if you're a Christian, I ask you this: Does the Holy Spirit not show you that your lying to others is WRONG???


If you're a liar, I HATE YOU.
And you sure as hell don't deserve my respect.

19 comments :

Anonymous said...

i feel you.

:(

Pam Song said...

ATTN: trace
– You, me and half the population who's been lied to at some point or the other. The other half of the population? Well, they're the ones doing the lying. =(

luxen said...

I like to lie... on my bed

Pam Song said...

ATTN: luxen
– ISH!

史坦利 said...

who didn't?

sheon said...

the dam is gonna burst. the only way out for the townfolks is the narrow road, and a madrush is gonna cause just as much fatalities. only an orderly exodus is gonna save them all. mayor decides to lie about the situation declaring its only a routine evacuation exercise despite the media pressure. ultimately every soul is saved from tragedy.

see? lying for the greater good DOES exist!!

well, of coz lying to get yourself outta trouble/blame/accountability is indeed a despicable act. and sheonhere.blogspot.com will not condone or advocate such acts.

however, 'lying' as a delaying tactic is tolerable by my standards. boss is on my back for a report which i still havent started.but if i confess to it i know i am gonna get into bigger trouble. i am confident of beating the deadline despite so.
"yes boss!! i'm still on it!!..."
and finally i hand in the report right on time.

see? this 'lie' doesnt get anybody in trouble. i didnt relieve myself of accountability. it's just a way of manipulating the truth to make it more palatable to everyone. :) without changing the ingredients.

RealGunners said...

:( unfortunately, i'm 1 of those who do the 'righteous lying'.. when i deal with my mom..

when she stubbornly thinks that going to the cinema/redbox/neway is equivalent to bad boy life, and i don't wanna make her angry all the time.. well.. haih..

Pam Song said...

ATTN: SJ
– I'm talking about chronic lying. Like... habitual lying. Do you lie habitually?


ATTN: sheon
– That example you gave was what I meant by 'righteous lying' lor. It's for the greater good. I still think it's arguable cos it's kind of in a grey area. But... the point I'm trying to make is that there are people who seem to lie EVERYDAY to get through EVERYTHING! It's become a habit. I mean, they even do it just cos they want others to think that they're cool or something.

Say... I don't like eating seafood. But cos my friends like it and they're verbal about it, I say, "EH! I LIKE SEAFOOD, TOO!!"

You know? It doesn't get anybody in trouble but... then you're deceiving people about your personality already. And for me, I'll never be able to trust what these people say. When do the lies end and when does the truth start? A true friendship or relationship cannot be based on such lies.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: RealGunners
– I feel that if you do it with a conscience that makes you feel bad when you do it, at least there's something there. But there are people who lie and feel, "Hey! I didn't do anything! Normal wat. Just say only lah!"

Then, die. The person is no longer morally sensitive. That's when the trouble starts and the person goes into chronic lying to get anything and everything they want. And then they refuse to be held accountable for it. Sigh. Terrible lah such people.

I'm not saying that I don't lie at all. I'm saying that even if I do, I do it cos of reasons I feel are logical and acceptable. But in this discussion, I'm referring to ppl who lie without a second thought. To them, lying comes NATURALLY already. That's what my problem with the lying is. These people no longer see the wrong in their ways. And it's like, in one conversation, you can see that there are 20 - 30 lies. SERIOUS. That's a LOT.

sheon said...

hahaha....now 'that' kinda lying is pathetic. hahaha....

luxen said...

liars will always find moral justification, generally everyone has their own moral compasses that point in one direction. However, they're not calibrated.

Severe liars have a defective moral compasses that points to a different true moral north.

Addicts for example lie often to hide their addiction, the chemicals they're addicted too tricks their brain into justifying all their lies.

Religious zealots lie too, "I did it to save your soul!". They always know better than you what's good for your soul don't they?

Governments lie often to protect the people (or so they say). "Price of fuel will not go up tomorrow" or "Read my lips, no new taxes!". Prevent panic they say... what ever.

Tell me lies... tell me sweet little lies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j8-_vIplso

I lie because its pleasurable.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: sheon
– Exactly!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: luxen
– I agree with the moral compass thing. Saddens me though. And if you find lying pleasurable, be sure you don't get addicted to the pleasure while you're at it.

luxen said...

like I said, I like lying on my bed hehehe... and yeah, its soooo pleasurable. Hard to wake up most days.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: luxen said...
– It's the same for me, man. So difficult to wake up in the morning nowadays. Sigh.

joshuaongys said...

you know right.. pam.. "you're da best"!

xD

Pam Song said...

ATTN: joshuaoys
– Why so babi wan you???

Melody Loy said...

Nice oneeee

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Melly.
– Haha. Thanks! =)

Post a Comment

Talk to me!