Thursday, December 06, 2007

Middle Child Syndrome

...in an only child – me.

It makes me think, you know:
Am I weird or am I weird?


You see, I did this online test yesterday. One of those Tickle Test links found its way into my email Inbox again and I gladly got sidetracked from writing crummy, going-nowhere headlines and snore-inducing body copy. Haha.


And get this: the title of the test was
The Influence of Birth Order.

Jeng jeng.


The theory behind the test is based on the fact that one individual can only occupy one birth position in the family unit – only child, eldest child, middle child, or youngest child. No more, no less. You're either one or the other. Therefore, categorizing people in this manner may help one understand the people around them better. Also, understanding birth order and its effects on the individual does help one ascertain that individual's personality better. Or, if you're anything like me, you'd take this test just to gauge the degree in which your birth order has influenced your personality.


And in my case, that degree is significantly low.


That's the thing with this birth order profile. You can't say that only children are always spoilt rotten. Or that the youngest in the family always has to have things their way. Or that the oldest is always the bossiest bugger in the family. Or that the middle child is always the forgotten, least-important one.


Family dynamics are powerful influences of personality types and profiles. So powerful that they sometimes override the effects of birth order, in both good and bad ways. These influences cause the birth order profile to fail to match the testee's (is that how you say it?!) personality profile. That was the case with me. So, that's when you look at this: -




I am most like a middle child. (Did I grow up ignored most of the time?) Then an eldest child. (Am I really that bossy by nature?) Then an only child. (Hah. Reality stands 3rd in line.) And I'm least like the youngest child in the family. (YES!) Maybe it's a good thing. Maybe it's not. I don't know. But I'm gonna believe that it's a good thing. Haha.


Do The Influence of Birth Order test here.

6 comments :

welovepenang said...

ya,,, right... it really make a different when you are at diff position in the family....

I am the eldest son... and my father too... we are from very tradisional family style... chinese lor.... so how would u feel when u r the eldest.....

haha.... btw, had u added my email? just ask... if u already find out the ways..... just ignorethis....

Pam Song said...

I never add yet lah. I dunno how to check your email lah. Where do I go? And I kinda found out some ways to use Pay Pal. But then... can we link the Pay Pal account to an international bank like HSBC or Al Rajhi? What about Maybank. Cos I dun wan cash to be stuck in the virtual world. Can we cash the money out?

Jovin Wong said...

Gah! You never say it's a 10-page long quiz. z_z I thought a short quiz before bedtime and I ended up still in front of my computer half an hour later.

Just a note though, that screencap in your entry is a standard chart under the detailed results part cause my result was not The Middle Child but I got that exact same chart, too. I think it's just example. *shrugs*

And as far as I know, you can't cash out from paypal in Malaysia, unless I'm unaware of the recent developments. You can pay through paypal by linking to your debit/credit card but they charge you 3.4-7.2%? of the price you pay to the buyer. And since you can't cash out in Malaysia, the cash you get in through paypal stays in paypal. So you can... I guess use it to do online shopping? *shrugs*

Pam Song said...

ATTN: hiyashi
– Haha. A whole half hour to do that quiz!? It's not SPM all over again, dear. Just tekan tekan then press enter lah! Haha.

And no leh. You read the line before the chart and see. It says, "Below you will find a bar showing to what extent you match the profile of each birth order type."

So means the you there refers to the test taker lah! And the result does not show that I'm a middle child. That question is already answered on Page 2 or something of the test, remember? Where you state exactly which birth order you got. This test just tells you where your birth order shows most strongly in.

You know what? That kinda means that we both behave a lot in the same ways middle children do! Haha. So much for birth order. Family upbringing plays a bigger part in shaping a child's personality. Whoopie for us.

Jovin Wong said...

Wah! Half hour cause I take test, read results, come comment comment here mah. But in fact it was one hour later cause I attempt to blog blog somemore. Now after reading your comment I have to go back and read the pages long results pulak. Thought read the instant result can oredi. *sigh*

Pam Song said...

Haha. Nevermind. Worth it. So did you find that your personality matches your birth order? Or was it "off" like mine? Instant results not enough lah.

Ooo. You blogged this, too? Haha. I go read now.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!