Thursday, December 20, 2007

Voraciously Gargantuan

I've been blog surfing the last couple of weeks. Just to see what other people write about daily. (You have no idea what people actually write about these days, man!!! Culture shock for me kau kau.) And to gauge what their blog traffic is like based on the nature of their posts and their writing styles.


I discovered something in the course of my research:
It doesn't pay to sound intelligent in your posts.


Bloggers who write diary-like posts in English that would shame QEII should just quit doing what they do. Many of these people turned out with the least readers and comments.


Firstly, there's the diary factor. (The one where people recap what they've done throughout the day with no purpose whatsoever.) I mean, if you wrote something topical and dissected the topic with bombastic words relevant to your post, then it's okay lah. That's just the use of jargons to aid understanding of the topic you're discussing. I'd understand. BUT if you use big words for the sake of appearing smart IN YOUR PERSONAL ONLINE DIARY, you might as well make it really personal and block the rest of us out. We don't wanna know how repast was with your confidantes. (That means supper with your friends.)


Stop writing like you type with a Dictionary in one hand and a Thesaurus in another, okay. Nobody really cares if you term 'people' as homo sapiens or that you are able to replace 'guilt' with compunction. Big words are overrated. Plus, it's time you got the bottom line, that is this: NOBODY CARES. It just irritates me no end when writers do it. Especially so when they put big, smart-sounding words to the wrong use!


*slaps forehead*

Hello, if you don't know the usage of the word
and don't even understand what it means,
don't use it lah!!!

*heaves heavy sigh*


You just succeed in proving to the rest of Cyberworld that: -

1) Your command of the English Language is beyond pathetic.

2) You're a Great Pretender who's pretending (keyword, keyword, keyword) to be what he/she is not.

3) You've got such lousy sense of self and low self-esteem that you find the need to hide behind a mass of big words when you blog for a faceless bunch of readers. We all don't know you lah! Do you think we care that you managed to spell the word 'recalcitrants'!? (That's people with an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority or discipline, if you didn't know.)


Anyway, intelligence is not what sells with the hosts of blog readers these days. No, no. We not that smart lah, okay. Don't kid yourself. Plus, with all those big words floating around, you kinda lose us along the way. It makes reading damn difficult loh. See also sien.


So what sells? Humour does.

And it does it whilst using
a hundred times less brain power.


Plus, if you didn't know, getting jokes and understanding sarcasm does require a certain degree of intelligence. Just check out the comments in this post and you'll see what I mean. Some people don't even get hints of sarcasm you think they'll get your full-fledged, super-power, Qxford Dictionary 'palaeopallium' ah?! (And that's a phylogenetically older portion of the pallium of the brain, which comprises mainly the pyriform lobe.) Please lah. Just give it up.


So go easy with the big words, alright? Most of us read blogs to escape the hard-hitting pulses of every-day life and responsibilities of the working world. We'd like to do it without having to turn to dictionary.com for help while we blog-surf. Thank you.

16 comments :

Anonymous said...

hey.. Pam Pam.. who make u so pixx off? ... hopefully not my blog... haha....

calm down..... mai ane che kong...

Hokkien Mee don drive ppl ki siao one... ok?.....

Pam Song said...

Haha. Not pissed lah. Haha. Just sharing my thoughts on bloggers who try to sound smarty-pants-ish when they blog. Haha.

And I LOVE MY HOKKIEN MEE!!! Best in the world. =p

And no, it's not your blog. =) Relek lah.

Kirsten said...

you lost me at vera... vora... vorasi... HAIH!!

*balik to my sand pit to play with dirt*

Accyee said...

HAHaha, familiar no? :P

AH WELL! too much of something isnt a good thinggg!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Kirsten
– HAHA. You funny. You very funny.

*cough*

I'm sorry. I meant to say that you're simply jocular.

*cough cough*

Can I play with you in your sandpitt? =p I promise I won't steal the shovel.


ATTN: Abby
– Haha. Definitely. See also jelak.

Anonymous said...

So you say bloggers who use bombastic words in their blog should just stop blogging; because it doesn't pull in readers??

Maybe it didn't occur to you that not everyone is wanting to draw in traffic. Or that they just want to pen down their down their thoughts.

And oh, its ok for you to blog in manglish? (which may I say is much worse than than bombastic-english-blog).

You need to let loose gurl..

Pam Song said...

Well, chicken shit. Why not come right out and tell us your name? Ruffle some feathers with your face up front instead of having it hidden halfway up your arse?

I never said they should stop blogging. Looks like even when I use SIMPLE English, bozos on the net still fail to understand me. Hah.

I said to "block the rest of us out." (How'd you miss that? Are as blind as you are stupid?)

And I'm pretty sure you're not one of those with ads on your page (cos if you are, you're a damn hypocrite) cos you so didn't get the point of my post. (I'm just gonna attribute your lack of understanding to your unapparent mastery of the English Language.)

I WAS BLOG-SURFING TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH PEOPLE EARN BASED ON WHAT THEY SAY AND HOW THEY SAY IT.

"It doesn't PAY to sound intelligent in your posts."

"What SELLS? Humour does."

Do I really have to capitalize my keywords for you? Gosh. Thought your English was super-duper powderful... considering that's what you seem to be fighting for anyways – the use of bombastic words in blogging.

And if you didn't know, the number of readers you have more or less directly correlates to the amount of money you earn on your blog. By pulling in more readers, you're earning your right to a bigger cut of the advertising cake.

If you wanna make it a diary, go ahead. Go pen down your crummy thoughts in your bombastic words. Just spare us the agony of speed reading through your page and block the rest of the world out, alright? The rest of the world doesn't really care if you do... or if you don't. So stop innit-ing your posts or nang-ing yourself so that the rest of us stop by, too.

Oh wait, I forgot. You don't have sponsors on your page, right?

And yes. It's okay for me to blog in Manglish. Why? Kenot ah? At least it's something we all use and it's something a HUGE majority of the Malaysian and Singaporean population understands.

UNDERSTANDINGS?

Oh sorry, I meant to say capisce.

Pam Song said...

Oh look at that. I have a typo. Guess I should have stuck to Manglish instead of say, "Are as blind as you are stupid?"

Blind ah!? Stupid ah!?

Hmmm. That's better.

Ahhhh...

Anonymous said...

Hahahah..

I had a suspicion that you would be an angry bitter person..

Makes sense why I wouldn't post my blog up. You could very well end up stalking me..

WOW... you are so bitter, wonder what could possibly be so sad in your life that has made you this way.

You scrutinize like an old granny and try to undermine others to somehow put yourself up.

Pitiful creature you are..

Try to be a little more happy & cheerful will ya, it will do you some good.

P/S : while we're in the subject of scrutiny, never heard of such a thing called powderful english..heheheh

Pam Song said...

Riiiigggghhhhttt.

Me stalk you? I highly doubt it. I take no interest in blogs that write in ways you advocate, remember? Thank goodness you left your blog out. Unfortunately, you left your name out with it.

Sure looks like you don't know the difference between Identity and Blog. Haha. Somehow that just seems funny for a person who's supposed to have powderful English.

Oh, and before I forget. Powderful? That's Manglish. Wasn't expecting you to understand that. =)

Me? Angry and bitter? Yeah, to certain folk, I must say. FYI, it doesn't take sadness to bring forth anger, and neither does sadness directly cause bitterness. Thought you'd wanna know. If you didn't, I wanted you to know.

You see, somehow or another, this post struck a cord in you. Goodness knows why since you're probably so consumed by whatever it is you enjoy writing about to care about what other people say... or what other people think.

I guess some people hide behind big words to find a sense of self and to find that person they've lost in the process of proving themselves to others.

Guess who's pitiful now?

Pam Song said...

Oh lookie lookie. I meant to say 'chord' and not 'cord'. I guess I'm not cut out for perfect English after all. Heh.

luxen said...

the blogs that gets the most interest in Malaysia are about:

1. Politics
2. Celebrities
3. food
4. parenting
5. humour

Other type of topics I would like to see take of in malaysia are blogs on:
1. environment
2. supernatural
3. consumer rights
4. activism
5. health

Pam Song said...

Parenting? Now, THAT I wasn't expecting. I'd like more consumer rights blogs. Malaysian consumers don't seem to know theirs.

luxen said...

yeah, mommy bloggers are all the rage now plus they make quite a tidy sum from their adverts. They told me some of them make up to USD1000 a month.

Most of them are stay at home moms who blog about their kids. Half of their blog entries are advertorials. Advertisers like them too because mothers are decision makers in the families.

You can check this one out that just started
http://www.demoments.net/blog/

Another type that is gaining popularity is about pets. Dogs, cats, etc. Pet care and pets get together are the in thing now.

I just read other people's blog because I'm a voyuer. Other people seem to have more interesting life. Trow in more sordid details about affairs and lingerie shopping in your blog.

Anonymous said...

Pam: hahaha...why so blown away. Haiyo.....let it slide offla. That anonymous doesnt worth your timela..Cheers =)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: luxen
– Haha. You mean mommy bloggers like 5Xmom? The woman earning big bucks lah. Who says staying at home and lounging on the net doesn't pay the bills, eh? HAHA.

Imagine this: -

Son: I want to be a full-time blogger when I grow up, mom!

Mom: *SMACK* Eat your sandwich and study la!

Haha.

But I can see how mother's make good advertising horses. Good thinking on the advertiser's part.

I just read that blog you sent me. She's pregnant again! Yay for her! Read about her miscarriage, though. So sad. But, well... that's over now. She's PREGNANT!!!

I want a baby, too. =(

And yeah, I stopped at a blog recently and it was about a dog. The blogger wrote about nothing but his dog. It felt weird reading about doggie mummy and doggie daddy at first but... after awhile, ok lah. Haha. Don't think I could ever start a pet blog though. I don't think about my pet's thoughts and neither do I create conversations with them in my head. =p

A baby blog? Well, that's another story. Maybe some day. =p

HAHA. You want me to spice up my blog? Haha. Will think about it. It usually spikes readership. Too many horny folk out there these days. Tsk tsk. Maybe I should write super cotton candy stuff. Go bimbo for awhile. Haha. See where that takes me. =p


ATTN: adrian
– Just irritates me when people blow what I say out of proportion. Why can't people understand that in a faceless society, voices are bigger and people are just more emboldened to say things they think or just wonder about.

I write a whole bunch of stuff I don't necessarily believe in. Stuff that I know people talk about but only behind closed doors.

I say things I think about but would never express in real life. I dramatise events and sensationalise happenings.

This IS after all, entertainment to me.

Why can't people get that? In the end, get offended by what I say pula. AND summore anonymous. Haih. Terrible.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!