Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Time's Up

You know, sometimes I wonder why I'm here. Why I was born? Why did I come to be? And other than just being, what else am I here for? I eat. I sleep. I work. I play. I blog. I pray. I laugh. I cry. I love. I grow up. I grow old... and then what?


What makes a life count?


It's not my bank account, that's for sure. (Thank goodness it's not.) The number of boyfriends I've had or not had? Pfft. I don't think so. The number of friends I've got? Hmmm, now that's a thought... but nah, not so much either.


Maybe it's just in the simple things like saying ciak to my elders before I eat. And looking people in the eye when I talk to them. Or lending others my stapler at work. And never adding fake miles to my travel claims. Maybe it's smiling in response to smiles offered to me that counts. Or saying my pleases and thank yous, for that matter.


Can it really be that simple? Perhaps not.
I should start thinking things of substance.


Maybe it's how many times I've prayed for another. Or perhaps the number of lives I've helped make better. And the days I've in some way made brighter. Or the people I've somehow made happier. The burdens I've tried to make lighter. The friendships I've pursued and made deeper. By the simple fact that I've even bothered to myself in another. I don't know. Maybe.


So what else am I here for?
Not much, I can tell you that.
But I want so much more than "not much".


The clock's ticking and I'm not getting any younger. Time's slipping by too quickly and I'm losing my grip on Life and its reason of my existence. What if it all ends before I actually do anything worth mentioning to the grandkids? What if time comes to a standstill before I manage to make a difference? What if I die without having made an impact in another's life?


What can I do to really make my life count?


I can't tell you what because I'm not too certain of that myself. But this I can tell you... You've made a difference if your name finds its way into a friend's diary every once in awhile. You've made a difference if someone other than yourself has kept a picture of you. You've made a difference when your birthday matters and is remembered. You've made a difference when your name gets onto a Christmas shopping list. You've made a difference if you get free hugs when you cry and big, wet, sloppy kisses when you're down. You've made a difference if your Friendster/Facebook page gets checked more often than you check it yourself. You've made a difference when you get silly testimonials just cos you were remembered. You've made a difference if you've been tagged at least once in your life.


And you've made a difference
when what you write gets read.

Thanks for reading.

You help me know that I'm making
a difference, albeit one day at a time.

And that my life has already begun to count.

22 comments :

Anonymous said...

Whenever I think of things along these lines, I think of Romans 12:1

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will"

To me, if you don't constantly renew your mind, you'll never know what you are meant to be doing in life...

THEN... THEN. THEN! You will be able to test and approve...

God bless!

Pam Song said...

Haha. Thanks, man. =)

littlewoozie said...

another thought... it's WHO you are before God that counts more than WHAT you do for Him

luxen said...

Ah, little grasshopper, you seek the meaning of life. Here's a little tune for you from Monty Python...


Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the right side of life...
(Come on guys, cheer up!)
Always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the bright side of life...
(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
Always look on the bright side of life...
(I mean - what have you got to lose?)
(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing!)
Always look on the right side of life...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_Look_on_the_Bright_Side_of_Life

I was going to cut and paste the lyrics for "The Meaning of Life" but I think this one is more appropriate.

Pam Song said...

ATTN: littlewoozie
– True.

p/s: I'm sorry for your loss... and mine. :'(


ATTN: luxen
– Awww, thanks, man. That was pretty sweet of ya.

Anonymous said...

Pam: Call your home back. Your home need you! =(

Pam Song said...

I know. I'm going back in a couple of days. =(

ming said...

couple days??? meaning u coming to visit meeeee?????????

my flight canceled..i only will reach penang on friday nite...=(

Leon said...

It's the little things in life that matters.

Once I learnt how to really enjoy each and every cup of coffee and their different aromas, savor the morning dew, noticed that traffic jams is a good time to catch up on that pending phone call or the sports section of the Star, I have enjoyed life more.

I dunno ... it worked for me. :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: ming
– Haha. Yes yes, I'm going to visit you. =) Friday I'll be there. Going back on Sunday. Just gimmie a call okay. My number didn't change. =)


ATTN: Leon
– But that's about enjoying life. What about finding meaning in life?

ming said...

Yay!! Great! Nomatter how late it is..i have to meet u up..like midnite or something..=p

Pam Song said...

Haha. Of course, dear. Of course. Just HOLLER! Sea Wind?

Anonymous said...

One day soon we will round a bend in the road and our dreams will come true. We really will live happily ever after. The long years in exile will be swept away in th joyful tears of our arrival home. Everyday when we rise, we can tell ourselves, "My journey today will bring me closer to home; it may be just around the bend". All we long for we shall have; all we long to be, we will be. All that has hurt us so deeply, they will all be swept away.

And then real life begins.

Kirsten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirsten said...

Why do i feel so chuan after reading ya post??

*glup glup*

Hav ya been 'exercising' ya fingers recently?

Yes, i still remember Nov 21 and i still hav the busuk pic outside westland's toilet

Cheers

Leon said...

I dunno much about the meaning of life.

I could of course give you the standard reply of looking at enlightment, love, health, satisfaction and a whole lot of those crap. They wouldn't be sincere nor honest, though.

I don't know. I've asked myself before the very same question you posted, and never came up with a satisfactory answer.

It could be due to the fact that I am an atheist, and I don't believe in afterlife. So therefore, there is nothing really to look forward to after death.

My principles are simple, though. Live my life with honor, integrity, so that when I leave this world, I will only be remembered and cherished for the good things that I have given back. I guess that is just a small part of the meaning of living, but that's all I have :)

Pam Song said...

ATTN: anonymous
– Hey, who're you?


ATTN: Kirsten
– I WANT THAT PIC!!! Oh my goodness, those were such great times! We had a blast, didn't we? Dang, I miss those days lah.

Eh, Nov 21 coming soon leh. I somewhat remember having a meal at Sushi King to claim. =p


ATTN: Leon
– Well said.

I'm not happy with the answers I provide myself either but the thing is, I'm not an atheist. There is something to look forward to for me. No, I won't be rebirth as a cow or a dung beetle. (MWAHAHAHA.) Instead, my target's heaven. Maybe one day you'll change your mind and want to meet me there. =p

Leon said...

With your kind heart, I'm sure you will meet St Pete.

For me, however, I will have to pass on the offer (if I receive one, that is). I have had a happy and rich life thus far, and I sure hope I'm gonna have many more years of it.

I am satisfied with my little heaven here, and if I may have one wish, then I would want my journey to end the day I pass. Eternity is just not the thing for me :)

Pam Song said...

Haha. Nice.

But could it be something you say because you're still young and death is such a long time away? What if you end up getting cold feet nearer death. Like...

"Gosh! Is THIS it!? Is this all I'm gonna get? Is this how it's gonna end?"

Then what? Teruk right?

My theory is that cos the concept of dying is such a distance away, there is no fear of it, nor is there fear of everything passing with nothing to look forward to.

Pam Song said...

Boy oh boy, how could I have missed out my punch line?! The horror!

*cough cough*

Ready?

Eternity doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

Anonymous said...

Im not sure how long I will live in this earth. But as long as I live, I choose to live a victorious life that will glorifies JESUS. I came to this earth empty handed, so will I return to the soil with empty hands. I do not exist by chance but with a PURPOSE to serve the MASTER.

Seek ye the Kingdom of God and all things shall be added onto you. =)

Pam Song said...

Yep. True.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!