Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Umbrella

Artist: Mandy Moore
Song Title: Umbrella (Originally by Rihanna)


You have my heart and we'll never be worlds apart
May be in magazines
But you'll still be my star
Baby cause in the dark
You can't see shiny cars
That's when you need me there
With you I'll always share
Because

[CHORUS]
When the sun shines, we’ll shine together
Told you I'll be here forever
Said I'd always be a friend
Took an oath I'ma stick it out till the end
Now that it's raining more than ever
Told you we'll still have each other
You can stand under my umbrella
You can stand under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella
(Ella eh eh)

These fancy things, will never come in between
You're part of my entity, here for infinity
When the war has took its part
When the world has dealt its cards
And if the hand is hard, together we'll mend your heart
Because

[CHORUS]
When the sun shines, we’ll shine together
Told you I'd be here forever
Said I'll always be a friend
Took an oath I'ma stick it out till the end
Now that it's raining more than ever
Told you we'll still have each other
You can stand under my umbrella
You can stand under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella
(Oh)

Oh, you can run into my arms
That's okay don't be alarmed
Come into me
(There's no distance in between our love)
Gonna and let the rain pour
I'll be all you need and more
Whoa, because

[CHORUS]
When the sun shines, we’ll shine together
Told you I'll be here forever
Said I'd always be a friend
Took an oath I'ma stick it out till the end
Now that it's raining more than ever
Told you we'll still have each other
You can stand under my umbrella
You can stand under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella eh eh eh)
Under my umbrella
(Ella ella ella eh eh)

[BRIDGE]
It's raining, ooh, baby it's raining
Baby come into me, come into me
It's raining, ooh, baby it's raining
Come into me, come into me


You know, I used to hate this song to the max. Thought that it was such a we-share-nothing-but-bimbo-love kinda song. I mean, what's up with ella ella ella? (I still don't really like that part, actually.) The whole equating-love-to-sharing-umbrellas thing just seemed so far from anything even remotely serious. Sharing an umbrella isn't enough to show love, okayyy.


...till I heard Mandy's version of the song.
An umbrella is so very enough now, man...

*grin*


It's all about the delivery. I'm not really a fan of her voice but there's something hypnotic about Ms Moore's voice this time. It seems more powerful than it used to be, too! I mean, I like some of her other songs and I do sing along to them... but I never thought that her voice was that fantastic. You know? She's no Mariah, Whitney or Christina. But this time, the woman nailed the song. Her rendition just carries the song to a whole other level and she obviously sings it better than Rihanna does. O.B.V.I.O.U.S.L.Y. No harm stating the obvious, right? It's called 'stressing my point'. Also, it's interesting to note how different the song sounds without actually having many melody or tune changes to it. This version is a masterpiece.


One thing about Mandy that I have to commend is that she acknowledged Rihanna in the intro to the song. I really respect her for that. She even screened Rihanna's original video clip in the background. That's more than some tribute to the original singer, right? It's only courteous to do so, actually... but how many artists actually do it?



So penuh feeeel, huh? Haha.

Question: Why does she stuff the mic up her nose
when she sings? So tak sedap tengok.


Anyhew, I used to think Rihanna's version of Umbrella was cheap and tacky but now, I KNOW for sure that it was. Mandy's got my vote. Good girls don't win at things as much as they should but they always come out on top when it really counts. Go, Mandy!

9 comments :

DelvC said...

yep ..u know what ..i also got ne post bout this song ..i love this song ..actually rihanna's version also very nice ..
this one more emo lah ..
remember last time i said "close eye and listen" thingy ...
i think if thissong the keyboard louder nicer ...got the travis and coldplay feeling ..

Anonymous said...

hmm .. i still dun really like the song ... guess i'm still polluted by rihanna's version AND i still dun like the ella part as well

Pam Song said...

ATTN: delvc
– You liked this song meh? I thought you liked Gwen's 4 In The Morning! Haha.

No la. I dun like Rihanna's version at all. Hated it actually. So irritating lah. Every time I hear the ella ella ella parts I just wanna smash my radio. Haha.

But yeah. This wan more emo. And I like emo. Haha. Especially power emo. Sad emo very depressing.


ATTN: zecount
– You're back! So long never hear from you. Haha. Like diam diam liddat. Anyway, yeah. But honestly, I think Mandy Moore dun like the ella part as well. Haha. If you pay attention, she sometimes skips those parts and goes into eh eh eh di. =p

Anonymous said...

yeap yeap .. soli lah ... seriously quite busy nowadays .. i just skim thru ur blogs most of the time ... yes i heard Mandy doing it too hahahaha .. anyways i soooo wanna watch a walk to remember.. heard it's good but nvr got a chance to watch it

DelvC said...

u go read my blog lah..confirm never check out one lah you ..pot liao so long ..
gwen ok lah ..
now im into nelly furtado and pink's new song ..

Anonymous said...

hey ..talking about a walk to remember .. u should listen to switchfoot's learning to breath and mindy smith's one moment more ... very good songs

Pam Song said...

ATTN: zecount
– Waaa. Why ah? Your thesis keeping you up and about?

How come you never watched A Walk To Remember? I posted about it so so so many times when I was with FriendsterBlogs! A bit lagging right?

Go find it and download lah! =p

And Uncle, I also posted on One Moment More. Tsk tsk. I'm hurt. I gotta check if I've got that Switchfoot track. Think I do. But for now, I've gotta mandi kerbau and head off to work. HAHA.


ATTN: DelvC
– Got lah. I got read. But you never post about Nelly and Pink also. Last I saw was Gwen's song. After that you keep talking about food only. Haha.

Anonymous said...

got meh?? dun remember liao .. but i watched it already
nice movie and nice songs ... i think i should get the soundtrack

Pam Song said...

Ooo. Just watched? Nice hor. So romantic hor? Cannot tahan only. If you get the soundtrack, send me the songs!!! I don't have all of em.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!