Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Does It Really Take The Bad To Bring Out The Best In The Good?

Picked up a magazine before bedtime.
Little did I know, I was in for surprise.
A surprise I wouldn't like.

I read an article that got me thinking about this...

Why does it often take something bad in order
for people to appreciate something good?


Take this for example: Why do sweet things taste that much sweeter after we've had a taste of something sour beforehand? Why can't we just enjoy the sweet and delight in it as it is? Is sour really necessary for maximum enjoyment of the sweet? Isn't the sweet already pleasurable enough without having to have it benchmarked against something so negatively far off-tangent?


I think it is.


Then doesn't that make it really unfair for that good thing if it's taken for granted till something worse comes along to provide a means of comparison? Why does it have to come down to a comparison between two? Why not just appreciate the one in hand rather than differentiate and then only emulate? Is all that even remotely essential? Is any of that drama really necessary?


I just don't get it.


It looks like Brad Pitt's relationship with Angelina Jolie is headed for the dumps. In fact, Brad has already begun consulting his family lawyer with regards to custody of baby Shiloh (his daughter with Angie). No biggie. I didn't like the fact that the two got together anyways. Good riddance, I say. That family's totally whacked up. Mom and Dad aren't even married anyways.


But that wasn't what bothered me. What got me thinking was the fact that the person he's chosen to turn to for comfort and a listening ear is his ex-wife, Jennifer Aniston. The man is finding solace in the arms of the woman he so cruelly threw aside. The very same woman he dumped mercilessly as he hopped, skipped and jumped onto the Brangelina love boat and sailed away.


Why her? Why now?

Has she changed? Or has he?


Has his perception of her changed? I don't think so. Not much anyways. I quote: "Brad told Jen that he missed being with a woman who was his best friend and that he liked how simple things were when they were together," said an insider. Hmmm. Doesn't that say that the only thing that has changed is his appreciation of her; NOT his perception of her?


If so, why does appreciation only come after two years of separation? What's changed over the past two years? Has Jen miraculously changed for the better in just two years? Or has Brad changed instead? Or has neither changed, save for Brad's "sudden" realisation of Jen's plus-points only AFTER sharing two years of his life with Angie and having a baby together?


How is this even fair?! Tell me!

Sigh.

It's not... and it never will be.

Sigh.

I'm tired and I'm upset.
I'm going to bed. Nights.


---------------


Article read was a cover story and it can be found
on Page 4 - 6 of Australian magazine, Woman's Day
(Mother's Day Special), which was dated 14 May 2007.

4 comments :

Unknown said...

No offend for Brad's and Jen's fans, but...
Birds of the same feather flock together. A simple minded man with just a handsome shell is better off with a shallow & empty woman, that's no surprise.
Angelina is too deep and too strong for him.

Pam Song said...

Aiseh. We have an Angelina Jolie fan in the house.

Me no likes Jolie.

Anyway, how is simple-mindedness a bad thing? It's the simple things in life that give us the greatest joy. Joy that reaches the deepest parts of us. Parts that materialism, fame and wealth will never ever reach. Not even close.

Sure, Angelina is the perfect portrayal of a strong and independent woman. I'll give her that. But strength is more than sheer feminism. Strength should come from the inside. Not on the outside where the tattoos lie. The woman is INCAPABLE of giving herself up to the man who she says she loves. Where is the strength in that? People who cannot do that are usually those who are the least secure. It's a cover-up. They do the opposite of what they really want to do in order to protect themselves and their fragile egos. That's not strength to me.

And how is Jennifer Aniston a shallow, empty woman? If anything, I respect her for being a one-man woman and I salute her for the way she handled her painful divorce and the whole Brangelina fiasco. She never once bad mouthed the new couple and hid her pain as best she could in the shadows beyond reach of the flashes of the paparazzi and their cameras. THIS is strength.

Unknown said...

I just personally don't like empty vessel kind of people. Simple minded and simple life are two different stories.

Like you, for an example, you live a simple life, though you are from well to do family; but you are not a simple-minded young woman. Ha!

By the way, where did you get that black/ brownish slippers? Really nice.

Pam Song said...

Hmmm. I don't like empty vessels either. Neither do I like them shallow ones. But you have to admit, there are so many of them walking around making so much noise.

However, it's interesting that you classify Jennifer as one. My reasons for thinking Angelina weak have already been put on the table. Can it be that you've just been assuming the worse of Jennifer?

She seems simple enough to me, actually. But of course, that's what the tabloids tell me. And pfft. How much of THAT can we say is real or accurate, huh? Haha.

Thing is, I feel that Angelina's all drama, no substance. Act tough and scare the world away. The only thing I'd give her credit for is the fact that she's an ambassador. That's the only way she's clearly one-up compared to Jen.

Haha. Those slippers? I got em from Why Pay More. You better hurry cos it's not one of their latest designs. I also wanted the turquoise ones in the same design but they ran out of my size already. Go, go, go! Or else sure regret. Haha.

Post a Comment

Talk to me!