Monday, April 02, 2007

Jesus People

Everybody has favourite kopitiams they frequent, don't they? Well, I'm no different. Worse, I always order the same food from the same stall and the same drink from the same uncle. Heh. It's been that way for the better half of the last decade... maybe more! It's been so long that I can't remember when my family actually discovered the place. Haha.


So the question of the day is this... What happens when one frequents a kopitiam as often as my family and I do? Easy. The aunties and uncles tell you your order before you even open your mouth cos you've probably ordered it for the millionth time, and they start giving you really weird nicknames cos it makes talking about you amongst themselves a whole lot easier. That's what.


Listen to this. We paid Aunty 1 for our drinks and while we were on our way out, we heard Aunty 2 ask the funniest serious question. (Hmmm. Looks like I'm all for oxymorons today.) And mind you, she asked it with a straight face.


Eh, Ia Soh eh lang hor lui liao ah boay?
(English Translation: Eh, Jesus people give money already or not?)


Whoa.


So, yeah. Turns out my family and I are known as the "Ia Soh eh lang". Haha. Terror-ness. You see, the only time we show up is on Sunday morning. EVERY Sunday morning – give or take a Sunday or two when we're out of town or are already running late and need to rush off to where we're headed – church.


And with that, superficial things like baju becomes a defining factor. Whilst most of their other customers appear in shorts and sweaty T-shirts (probably straight from a morning jog), we're one of the very few who're decked in our Sunday best. Haha. Okay la. Not that best la. But cukup best. Asalkan pakai jeans dah kira best. =)


Heh. Jesus People. It's really funny when you think about it. Trust them to come up with something so simple yet so unbelievably appealing (to me, at least). Jesus People! Yeah!


I think that the name gives me a feigned sense of possessing some sort of divine aura when I walk in and out of the shop. You know? Almost like walking around with a halo miraculously hovering over my head and wings sticking out from behind my back. Put on your sunglasses, sit back, relax and watch as I glow and radiate, People of the Shorts and Sweaty T-Shirts!


Haha. Funny.

Call us People. Jesus People.

Waaa. Does it make us sound cool or what!?


*blink blink*


But heck, that nickname comes hand-in-hand with a whole lot more responsibility than what 11 letters should ever warrant. Siao siao. Dun play play ah. I sket.


*gulp*

12 comments :

Jamie said...

i wouldn't say there's one kopitiam that's my fav. however, one always bring me the fond memories i had. the Kopitiam below Ghee's tuition center. Guess what, there's a couple time that the kopitiam actually pay for my imfamous 'teh ni'(@teh peng).

ming said...

to gap: haha..that aunty actually remember me bcos of you.. the last time i visited dat place she actually asked me where are you still in canada...=p

anyway..dats a good place to drink teh ni...hehehehe

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Li'l Gap
– HAHA. Oh yeah, man! Those were good times, huh? But I don't think I kerap makan with you guys there.


ATTN: Ming
– I miss the hong kong chee cheong fun at near Ghee wan! Sniff sniff. =(

p/s: And I miss clip clip. =p

Anonymous said...

Haha...That is what I consider He that in us is greater than he is in the world! Even a kopitiam aunty could recognized that... To God Be the Glory!

Pam Song said...

ATTN: adhojlim
– GOODNESS! You're here! Haha. Didn't know you were a visitor. How's life been for you, man? Mine's been busy, busy, busy with pretty regular doses of insomnia. Haha.

And yes. Jesus People!

Anonymous said...

As usual...busy busy busy..just like you...wkaka =))

Suffering from imsomnia? Hey! What is boggling in your mind =?

Try this out! A glass of hot milk b4 bedtime & top up with prayer (sound like this....as I go to sleep, I sleep in peace. In Jesus I do ask and pray. Amen!) See whether that will doze you off.... If that doesnt....starting counting sheepslor...=P haha

Pam Song said...

Haha. I'm not a big fan of milk or anything remotely like milk. Haha. I drink tea without milk, I hardly drink milo and I don't fancy coffee much. Haha. Dunno why also. Perhaps it's that taste it leaves in my mouth. Don't like it. Haha. But... A number of ppl suggested that actually. After they read my insomnia post a couple of days back. Haha.

Hmmm. Counting sheep. After that post, I also found out that someone I know counts sheep to sleep too! And he actually said it works! HAHA. Who'd have thought. I may try it one day. =p

Think for now, prayer's the best alternative. We'll see how that goes. =)

Jamie said...

oh. i forgot to add... pam always buy me nice lime coated ice cream.. yum yum. i miss that ice cream

Anonymous said...

we is a Jesus ppl !! hahaha

Pam Song said...

ATTN: Lil'Gap
– Ya la! How could you possibly forget. Tsk tsk. But hey, I miss that ice-cream, too! Long time never eat di.


ATTN: Zecount
– Yes yes! We is! We is! We should having a Jesus People dance.

Jamie said...

hahah.. i've evolve. got my own ice cream maker and making my own ice cream... tried some odd flavored that my friend made. hm. to name a few, kaffir lime leaf, kaya ice cream... but i love my vanilla ice cream. best in the world. haagen dazz have to come a long way to my vanilla ice cream..

Pam Song said...

Aiyo yo! Some people living the good life over there lor! Got ice-cream maker summore. I demand a taste. Vanilla, please. =p

Post a Comment

Talk to me!